Dr. Mallory Harris, ND
Endocrine Disrupting Compounds (EDCs) are chemicals that can alter hormone balance by impacting the secretion, production and metabolism of them in the body.
EDCs also hang around and bio accumulate in the body. They like to hide out in our adipose tissue, which can also become a problem when someone decides to lose weight. When you burn fat, these chemicals are released into the blood stream and can burden the liver. A strong focus on liver detoxification support should be implemented with your Naturopath when deciding to lose weight.
There are hundreds of known EDCs, here are a few major players to try to avoid:
Dioxins/ PCBs (Polychlorinated biphenyls)
- byproducts of herbicides & pesticides
- can be found in meat, fish, dairy products
- women’s hygiene products-tampons, pads
- adhesives, vinyl flooring, lubricating oils, detergents
- shower curtains, table clothes, children’s toys, raincoats, plastic wrap
- insect repellents, hair spray, shampoo, nail polish, cosmetics, fragrance
Phenols/BPA (Bisphenol A)
- food industry packaging (plastic and canned goods)
- receipt paper
Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFCs)
- non-stick cookware
- fabric & carpet coatings
Top Ways To Decrease Your Exposure
Eat clean and organic sources of red meat and dairy products.
Eat organic fruits and veggies
- wash thoroughly
- print the years dirty dozen list from ewg.com as a guide
Use all natural laundry detergents
- this will decrease skin absorption of chemicals at bedtime from your sheets and from wearing your clothes during the day
Limit use of plastic products in the home
- shower curtains
- plastic wrap
- food storage
- water bottles
Look for BPA free alternatives or use glass.
Switch to all natural beauty products and cosmetics.
Avoid cooking in non-stick cookware, especially if scratched or flaking.
Foundations of Hormone Balance
See my blog article on the Foundations of Hormone Balance to learn more about the endocrine system and see which foundational aspects of health to focus on when maintaining or rebalanced your hormones.